If you are like me, you just finished a wonderful two week holiday. I left my marking and Christmas thank you cards to the last minute, but they are done! I can't believe I am actually making a turkey dinner TONIGHT...we go back to school tomorrow! Time somehow got away from me and although we have had Christmas dinner with family, we have not had our own "little family" dinner yet...no time like the present I say!
Speaking of no time like the present, it's time to get report cards done. Mine are due in a few weeks.
I have been writing report cards for almost 25 years now. I remember when we used to write reports in triplicate on carbon paper. I had to buy three colours of white out (white, yellow and pink) in case, heaven forbid, I made a mistake while writing 32 reports BY HAND. We have come a long way baby! I am not always enamoured of the on line reporting system my board uses, it has its fair share of glitches, BUT it is far superior to the hand cramping and white out induced fury of the past!
When "Growing Success" was introduced in Ontario a few years ago, the report cards changed and the emphasis on work habits and learning skills were placed first and foremost on the reports.
Even after writing thousands of report cards over the years, I find myself struggling with finding the right words for each student for the learning skills and work habits section of the reports. A few years ago I was thrilled when I stumbled across a site called Student Evaluator. This quote from the website explains it all. "The Student Evaluator was created by teachers, for teachers. An idea that began over 5 years ago, the Student Evaluator has brought together a team of teachers, learning advisers, web design specialists, and software engineers to create an evaluation tool for teachers. We realized that there had to be a better and more efficient way to accurately assess and create report cards for our students, and so we built software to do just that."
Why you should use Student Evaluator:
- You can create your Canadian report card learning skills comments for each student in under 3 minutes!
- The Student Evaluator tool can create assessments of your students for your report cards and for your parent/teacher meetings.
- It is the only student evaluation tool designed for Canadian teachers.
- The Student Evaluator tool also generates an overall mark for each learning skill.
- The Student Evaluator generates comments using:
- Parent and student-friendly language.
- Organic, flowing sentences unique to each student’s accomplishments and needs.
- Constructive feedback that identifies a students' strengths and needs.
- A selected group of complementary phrases that have been specifically created for each learning skill.
- Our secure database:
- Keeps track of each student's report card comments for each term.
- Can be purged at the end of the school year and saved for future use.
- Provides a great tool for checking each student's performance throughout the term.
- Can be easily referenced for meetings with parents
Check out this great video explaining how easy it is to use Student Evaluator.
Thanks to a special collaboration with Student Evaluator, I am able to offer readers of my blog a special offer! As a subscriber you will receive a 20% discount when you sign up and use code JAN15. This code will only be good for a few weeks, so don't hesitate if you want to try it out.