“Giftedness is not what you do or how hard you work. It is who you are. You think differently. You experience life intensely. You care about injustice. You seek meaning. You appreciate and strive for the exquisite. You are painfully sensitive. You are extremely complex. You cherish integrity. Your truth-telling has gotten you in trouble. Should 98% of the population find you odd, seek the company of those who love you just the way you are. You are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. You are utterly fascinating. Trust yourself!”

Linda Silverman~Gifted Development Center Denver


Friday 21 June 2013

Gifts for Students and a FREEBIE!

I have to admit I am having a hard time making it to the end of the year.  As some of you know, my mother is very ill with Alzheimer's and advanced cancer.  She refuses to go into palliative care, and taking care of her and my brother who also has brain cancer has taken it's toll on me these past few months.  I hadn't thought of year end gifts for my students until it was too late to order my favourite pens from For Teachers Only. If you want to read about them see this post.

I happened to be in my favourite new dollar store, Dollar Tree and my hubby pointed out some really cute clipboards.  He knows I am obsessed with clipboards and tend to buy them and hoard them (I know, I know, but that's another problem to tackle another time!)  I didn't want them for me (gasp!) but I thought how much the girls in my class would probably enjoy them.  Luckily, there were enough to buy one for each girl in my class.  That left me in a quandry about what to get the boys, when the hubby again spotted something perfect. 


 I have a few of these large erasers in my classroom supplies and the kids LOVE THEM!  Again, there were enough to buy one for each boy student.


Clipboards, erasers, highlighters and sticky page flags all from Dollar Tree.  Gift bags and tags from party store.
Aren't these adorable?  I bought other colours too but I really liked the pink ones!
In order to add a few more things I bought some highlighters and some sticky post-it flags.  I cut the flags into individual pieces.  They were still on the backing so it was perfect.  There were enough to give each child one for a grand total of $3.75.

I know the boys in my class will think of me when then use these in junior high next year!
I had purchased these cute gift bags and tags last year at Party City.  I was glad that I had enough to last for this year too!
The finished gift! Perfect for a grade six graduate!
The cards I made and printed on the colour printer at school. 


To round the gifts out, I made a cute card with a graduate picture of either a boy or a girl on it.  The poem inside is the same, but after I printed and folded the cards, I took them home and wrote a personal message to each child.  

If you would like your own FREE copy of the cards I made, just click on the LINKS at the end of the post.





The final products all ready for next week.  I can't believe that next Thursday is the last day with my class.
We finish off the year on Friday with staff meetings and closing up our classrooms.  
Click HERE for GIRL NOTECARD.
Click HERE for BOY NOTECARD.

Freebie Fridays
Don't forget to check out what is going on at
Freebie Friday on TBA.  


Another fun linky for all the bargain shoppers!


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday







14 comments:

  1. This is a cute end of the year gift!! It will be a challenge for me to come up with gifts for 2nd-6th!! I'll keep this idea in mind for the older ones.

    ~Tasha
    A Tender Teacher for Special Needs

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wide group to shop for! Honestly, head to your nearest Dollar Tree (I am staring to sound like a sponsor, but truly I have no affiliation) and have a look around. They had the cutest stuff for end of year. Skipping ropes, frisbees, games for kids. You could find something for everyone I am sure, and NOT break the bank! Good luck!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really found a lot of ways to embrace my local Dollar Tree this year too. I'm always so proud of myself for finding bargains. I LOVE your idea so much. I'm definitely adding it to my list of spending savvy gifts for students! Thank you for sharing!

    Mrs O Knows

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by and sharing Mrs. O. I was so happy when Dollar Tree came to Toronto! There are not many here yet, but there IS one near me! I have saved a ton of money and I really their variety and quality! Your kinds words have lifted my spirits today. I knew there was a reason I wrote this post!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those large erasers. What a fun gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Karen! I thought they were a hoot too! Good thing my hubby has such great eyes! I have been in such a fog lately, it's a good thing he keeps me balanced!
    Have a great day!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my husband enjoys shopping for my classroom almost as much as I do!

      Husbands are definitely good for keeping us balanced. It sounds like he's been good for you through this time of need.

      Delete
  7. Love your gifts ~ the kids will, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Barb! I really had to pull something off at the last moment. I am not a last minute type of gal (yes a week ahead of time IS last minute to me). I am glad I have everything done, so that I can be with my mother when she needs me. I am just putting one foot in front of the other until next Friday when I am done for the summer!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Katie! It's a good thing I like to give more than I like to receive! My students have been spoiled the last few years. I am really pleased with my little gift bags and I hope the kids love them. Are you putting in your last week this week too? If I remember correctly, your hubby is done but you were working to the end like me!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for linking up this week at Teaching Blog Addict and offering our follower such a terrific freebie! Please come back tomorrow, you are my FEATURED BLOGGER! :)
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!


    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Fern thanks! Not sure what it means to be your featured blogger but I sure like the sound of it! I hope you have had a great year, this is my last day before summer holidays begins. I have a staff meeting tomorrow and then I am FREE! For the first time in 23 years I really feel that I need some time to myself. I hope you have been taking time for yourself this summer. I KNOW how hard you work, not just for yourself, but for everyone around you, even people you don't know! I will be checking in tomorrow, as I do every day and see what you are up to!
    Sidney

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable gifts...I love those clipboards!! Thanks for sharing & enjoy your summer! :)

    Cait
    Sliding into First!

    ReplyDelete