“Giftedness is not what you do or how hard you work. It is who you are. You think differently. You experience life intensely. You care about injustice. You seek meaning. You appreciate and strive for the exquisite. You are painfully sensitive. You are extremely complex. You cherish integrity. Your truth-telling has gotten you in trouble. Should 98% of the population find you odd, seek the company of those who love you just the way you are. You are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. You are utterly fascinating. Trust yourself!”

Linda Silverman~Gifted Development Center Denver


Sunday 17 March 2013

What's cooking good looking?


It's Sunday...March break is over:(  I have to make lunch for the week.  I find that if I prepare my lunch for the whole week for school on Sunday, I am more likely to make good, healthy choices.  I decided that I would share with you my favourite "go to" lunch, Pesto Tuscan bean soup.  

I discovered this soup on the Foodnetwork website.   I have probably made this soup 15 times since the winter started.  It's healthy,  low calorie, high in protein and fibre and easy to modify.  You could make it with homemade or reduced sodium broth to lower the sodium content.  I have tried making it with low sodium broth, but it doesn't taste as yummy.  I try to balance out the sodium in the rest of my day when I have this soup.  It is so hearty I usually just have it on its own with some fresh veggies on the side and fruit for dessert.  It keeps me going through the entire afternoon, but does not give me that "mid-afternoon" slump that so many high carbohydrate choices do.  This recipe makes enough to get me through the whole week.  I put it in glass bottles and take them to work on Monday.  I don't have to think about "what to make for lunch" for the whole week!






Ingredients:
1 box chicken broth or stock
3 tbsp. olive oil
5 garlic cloves peeled and sliced thinly
pinch of red pepper flakes (I use more than a pinch)
2 cans white cannellini beans (also called white kidney beans)
Pesto (I use store bought from a jar, but you could make your own)
Parmesan cheese
Roasted red peppers (optional) (I use the kind in the jar)
Olives (optional) ( I don't add these as they would tip the sodium into the "do not eat" zone)



Directions
Saute 5 sliced garlic cloves and a pinch of red pepper flakes in a skillet with olive oil. Add 2 cans drained cannellini beans and 1 cup water; simmer until thick, 8 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons pesto and 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan.

Add 3 cups chicken broth and 1 cup chopped celery; cook 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup each chopped olives and roasted peppers.





Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 353 g
Calories 154
Calories from Fat 49
Total Fat 5.4g
Saturated Fat 1.4
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 4mg
Sodium 928mg
Total Carbohydrates 14.4g
Dietary Fibre 5.7g
Sugars 2.8g
Protein 11.0g




What are your favourite go to lunches?  I am always looking for new ideas and recipes.  Spring is coming and I keep thinking about salads...and quinoa...and fresh fruit:)

Last minute addition on Sunday night...I just linked up with Groovy Educator at her "Absolute Favorite Blog Post" linky party.  I had a hard time picking one...why not hop over and see what my decision was.


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment, Sidney. I signed up for the Ontario bloggers linky. Where in Ontario are you? I am in Brampton.
    I couldn't find your math problem solving post though...could you give me the link again?
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/search/label/Problem%20Solving%20Template.
      I emailed you this earlier this week but hopefully this will help if you didn't find it earlier. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sidney! I'm new to teaching 6th grade and I live in Ontario too! I'm new to blogging as well! It's great to come across fellow Canadians online!
    Doodling Around in 6th Grade


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Glad you are linking up ...I am always happy to find another Ontario blogger, especially one who teaches the same grade as me.
      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to try this one out for sure! Thank you for the idea :-)

    ReplyDelete