“Giftedness is not what you do or how hard you work. It is who you are. You think differently. You experience life intensely. You care about injustice. You seek meaning. You appreciate and strive for the exquisite. You are painfully sensitive. You are extremely complex. You cherish integrity. Your truth-telling has gotten you in trouble. Should 98% of the population find you odd, seek the company of those who love you just the way you are. You are not broken. You do not need to be fixed. You are utterly fascinating. Trust yourself!”

Linda Silverman~Gifted Development Center Denver


Tuesday 17 July 2012

My Summer Project #1

Well, I cannot say I am getting bored yet...but I have spent way too much time on Pinterest.  I keep seeing these neat organizers the teachers have made to hold all the little things you find in your desk (e.g. clips, rings, erasers etc.).  I thought to myself "I would LIKE one of those".  I could not find one to purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot (as some teachers mentioned online) BUT I did find one at a local Walmart.  It looks like this, except mine has 38 drawers.  I don't want to post a pic of my finished project until it is actually FINISHED. 

Some Pinners suggested painting their organizer with spray paint to make it look better.   Well let me tell you, I tried a little "painting project" the other night myself.  I was inspired again by Pinterest to make a plaque that you glue clothes pegs to and then write/stencil "NO NAME" on it. You then hang it on the classroom wall to "display" student work handed in with no name.  (Usually I just put it in the "blue filing cabinet" after posting it on the blackboard for half a day).  I was NOT happy with my painting skills so I am NOT going to ruin my organizer by trying to paint it.  If you try it, let me know how it works out.


None of the labels for organizers I could download fit into the drawers of my organizer so I decided to create my own.  They are super simple in design.  I have posted them as a .doc file on my TPT site for FREE if anyone feels like using them. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Organizer-Labels-Small. I only posted the small labels as I have not decided what will go in the large drawers in the bottom yet.  I will have to wait until I am back at school to figure that out.

After making the labels, I affixed them using bright coloured POST-IT page markers (in the pink, orange, purple package) and SCOTCH restickable tabs for mounting.  I got both of these from the local Dollarama for $1.50 a package.  I am glad I decided to use these because now I can switch the labels on the drawers easily just by switching the colour of the post-its in the background.  Note to those who are a little OCD like moi.  Put all the labels in alphabetical order, then decide your colour pattern, then put them in the drawers!
Here is the finished project in my classroom.  I still have lots of extra drawers.  I am sure I will fill them with something!

Not sure what the next project will be but I am sure I will be inspired by something on Pinterest.  Today I found the cutest little blackboards surrounded by a wooden frame with a picture hanger at the back.  They were only $1.25 each at EFADS (Everything for a Dollar or More Store).  I so want to paint them Tiffany blue....